Mitchell County Schools – Welcome to Week 2 of COVID-19!
1. As you have probably heard, Governor Cooper has extended the school closure in North Carolina until May 15. We will continue to provide remote instruction during this time. Packet pick up was today for our elementary schools. We will update you later about the next assignment pick-up for elementary schools in approximately two weeks.
2. Remote learning for all students began today. Please remember that this is new for all of us! It is going to take time and patience. Teachers have office hours where they will be available each day to answer questions. You may email teachers at any time and they will answer your questions within 24 hours. Please do not hesitate to ask for help.
3. We know that some of you do not have reliable internet. We have ordered hot spots that will be placed at several locations throughout the community for students to use. We are also working on a list of businesses or other organizations that have opened their wireless access to students. Students can sit in the parking lot and download assignments. If you do not have Internet access, please let your child’s principal know. Students, if you have tech related questions and cannot access email, you may call 766-3488, Monday-Friday, between 8:00-3:00 for assistance.
4. Food distribution continues from 11:00am-1:00pm Monday-Friday at sites across the county.
5. We are working on a website for parents with all the information we are sharing during this school closure. This website will be available later this week.
Golden LEAF deploys $15M in funding to launch NC COVID-19 Rapid Recovery Loan Program. Funding will provide loans to help small businesses suffering economic losses related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) LINK HERE
Mountain BizWorks is joining with partners from across the state to launch an innovative recovery resource – the NC COVID-19 Rapid Recovery Lending Program. This program is being launched with an initial allocation of $15 million from the Golden LEAF Foundation (just announced this morning) to the NC Rural Center who is coordinating the multi-lender partnership. Learn more and apply at this link https://www.mountainbizworks.org/small-business-loans-financing-sba/nc-covid-19-rapid-re-loan/
Mitchell County Administration: All Mitchell County offices will be closed to foot traffic effective March 23rd. All offices will be open by appointment and phone call to all who need asssitance. Call 828-688-2139 to reach the county administration office.
Mitchell County Health Department: Update posted on March 23>
Yancey County 28 tests done 11 negative 17 pending
Mitchell County 37 tests done 18 negative 19 pending
Avery County 23 tests done 9 negative 14 pending
The labs are taking between 3-7 days to send the results.
Mitchell County Emergency Management: Per the Mitchell County Manager, all county offices are closed to the public. Mitchell County govenrnmental employes will continue to work. Closing the offices to the public limits not only the employes exposure, but the citizens exposure as well. If you need assistance during this time please refer to the information below.
Mitchell County –Mitchell County Government suspends all short term rentals until further notice
North Carolina –